Monday, December 19, 2011

A secret life exposed....

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

In the book of Matthew, there is a parable that has been the most poignant that I have ever read. It has stuck with me in and out of seasons. It has caused me a lot of deep thought and consideration...as well as prayer. It has also caused me to shake to my core when I consider the final end of the story.

It is the parable of the Ten Virgins.

I was profoundly struck today as I drove home from work. On 11-7, I posted about the re-dig that I had witnessed in our community around Wichita, as ponds, reservoirs, and other bodies of water had completely dried up...leaving nothing but dry, dusty bowls exposed...and about the re-digging of these bodies of water.

But today was a different story... Rain began falling last night and it poured most of the day. It was such a blessing to see the Winter rain pour down...drenching everything. But I was not expecting the sight I saw as I drove home. The water that soaked the ground and ran across the roads and flooded the fields was also filling the dry beds. I was deeply moved with amazement as I passed the first pond. It was overflowing. The second was the same...it was much larger (about 4x the size of the first) and it's banks were busting; a flock of Canada geese already enjoying a respite on it's surface. It was the same beautiful sight all the way home!

WOW...I was surprised...and oh so THANKFUL! And then the HS reminded me that God can do in one day, what could take a thousand (2Peter 3:8). And today, He had filled to overflowing the rivers, ponds, lakes and reservoirs. I think that it's also important to note that there was no difference in the size of the bed...ALL were filled to overflowing. AMAZING!

Only the grace of the Father can so quickly do something that we could never do. And even if we come with 2 fish and 5 loaves, He can do amazing things.

I believe the time is upon us, as the bride of Christ when we have to examine our hearts. Like the 10 virgins, we must inspect our lamps and make preparations for the return of the King of Kings. He will come to us like the rain, the latter and former rain (Hosea 6:3). This season of preparation I believe is called repentance, when we have the opportunity to lay our hearts bare before the HS and allow his cleansing work. A time to leave all others and to cling to The One. It is also a time to expand our banks and prepare for the overflow of His presence.

I believe strongly that the oil in the parable speaks of His presence. In this season of preparation, we must cultivate an intense and vibrant "secret life" with Jesus. We must make the time, and spend the energy in enjoying His presence and learning to hear His voice. I feel this was the determining factor that set the 5 wise virgins apart. I cannot tell you what this secret life looks like, except for myself. But it must involve the Word, prayer, and a great many other spiritual practices.

For me...it has involved soul-searching...allowing the HS to expose sin in my life and claim the ground as Holy unto the Lord. It has also involved quiet waiting prayer and journaling. I have spent time in fasting from food and things, to posture my heart for preparation. It has included long periods of worship and prayer...and has certainly been a season of many tears.

It has been a though time all around...but today, my heart is full. As the rain falls today, my heart is full. I must...I must press on to know this Lover of my soul, this Desire of Nations, This Prince of Peace. He is my ALL!



No comments:

Post a Comment